Sunday, January 6, 2019

SW Colorado on Two Wheels

BMW Motorcycle Rallies have a special place in my heart.  Paonia Colorado has a strong relationship with the BMW Clubs out of Denver and Colorado Springs.  Each year I go to Paonia to put a tent up in the City Park, visit with friends and talk motorcycle.  The Paonia Rally is special since it is a gathering of Colorado and New Mexico friends.  Where else can one live like a homeless person and go on wine tasting excursions.  I have ridden BMW's since 1978 although I am currently between BMW's having purchased an Austrian made motorcycle.  I did meet a couple who had recently retired and were touring the summer aboard a big BMW pulling a camping trailer.  They were going from rally to rally all summer. 






The owner of this very beautiful car gave up motorcycles but not the rally.  We rescued a lost dog up on Grand Mesa and got it connected to its owner.  The other riders are parked behind his car.  We cross over Grand Mesa until we reach I-70 and then turn around and do it again.  We usually score lunch on the return side.
This is my KTM, packed and ready to go 500 miles to the rally.  Amazing when you think you can pack your house, bed, extra clothes etc., on this beast.  I even have a cot, featured in this blog in another writeup, that I picked up from REI and is smaller than my old pad.  I strap a chair on the back as well.  My girl Ariel is seeing me off.


I tried to post this video to highlight the rider slums at the rally.  Apparently videos are not welcome the way I formatted it.  It does give you an idea how we spend four days with the beer tent nearby, nightly music and great company.

No comments:

Post a Comment